Fashion Week Special:The Latest Backpacker Trends
It’s Fashion Week which means that models from across the world will be strutting their stuff on the catwalk, showcasing the latest designer trends and inspiring high street designers to turning them into every day items we can all wear.
Will we be wearing any of these new trends though? Probably not. As backpackers we don’t have the room in our luggage or room in our budget to keep up with the latest in fashion.
So what do we do?
Well, we come up with our own. The RTW Backpackers team don’t claim to know a lot about fashion but if you’re confused about what you should wear if you want to rock the Backpacker Look this season then just follow these simple steps*:
1. Girls you absolutely must wear a bikini top every day even if you’re not going to the beach. Even if it’s raining. Even if it would probably be more appropriate to wear a bra.
In fact, don’t even bother packing a bra. You’re living life untethered now and if that goes for your body as well as your travels then you sure as hell don’t need the restrictive feeling of two curved pieces of wire digging into your ribs every time you move.
2. Boys the same goes for wearing anything but board shorts on your bottom half even if you’re not going anywhere near a beach. Even if it’s cold. Even if it would more appropriate to wear jeans or, shock horror, actual shorts. Nothing screams Backpacker Fashion like a brightly coloured pair of board shorts on a rainy day
3. Don’t even think about wearing anything on your feet except flip flops. Any brand except Havianas is unacceptable. Yes we know they’re more expensive than your average family car but there are times when you have to make sacrifices in the name of fashion. And this is one of them. Failing that you could follow in Chris’s (lack of) shoes and ditch footwear altogether – just watch out for the glass!
4. Don’t cut your hair. Ever.
5. Don’t style your hair. Ever. If you don’t look like you’ve just been for a dip in the sea, rolled around in the sand and dragged through a hedge backwards, you’re not doing it right.
6. Make sure that 90% of the time you’re wearing a singlet or vest top with a beer logo on it. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never been to Bali or Thailand, buy one off eBay and do everything you can to make it look like you’ve had it forever
7. Girls if you do feel like you have to do something to your hair you can’t go better than flipping your head upside down, twisting your hair around and securing with a bobby pin. Proceed with caution though; pull it too tight and you run the risk of looking like you’ve tried to give yourself some kind of DIY facelift.
8. Buy an anklet, making sure it’s one that actually ties on so you have no choice but to wear it at all times. Don’t cut it off when it starts rotting from getting wet in the sea or the shower. Buy a new one and hope no-one notices.
9. Girls you definitely need to arm yourself with the shortest pair of short denim shorts possible. Remember to wash them on a hot wash so that by the time you’ve worn them for the millionth time they’re so small that it’s practical illegal.
10. Wear as many hippy-looking bracelets as possible
11. Buy some Aladdin pants in the colour of your choice. It doesn’t matter if they make your bum look huge or that they’re really unflattering, they’re comfortable and that’s all that matters for you now that you’re travelling, right?!
*None of the following advice should be taken seriously or, indeed, literally.
Latest posts by Beverley (see all)
- The Beginner’s Guide to the Australian Language - May 16, 2012
- 5 Ways To Travel Australia’s East Coast - May 9, 2012
- #frifotos | Round The World With Flowers - May 4, 2012
- RTW Inspiration; Our 7 Super Shots with Hostelbookers - April 17, 2012